Tuesday 7 June 2016

MOKRUN Outshines the Rest!

Jennifer M in 2nd place and Jennifer R in 3rd
The 11th MOKRUN half marathon and 10k is complete. What a cracker of a weekend, filled with sunshine and happy faces. It was a glorious weekend in Kintyre and the event outshone every other race... well I'm just a tad biased!!!  It felt very strange not organising it and I was disappointed to be injured so not be able to go out and race it properly but I took part in the half for the first time at MOK, and although sore from the beginning - I loved it! The atmosphere at the start, from Fiona's high energy warm up where hundreds joined in the fun on Kinloch Green (another 1st for me getting to join in), to cheering crowds down Main Street towards the finish.  
Not to mention that danish pastry at the end :-)  

My new friend Carol - superstar

Susan, winner of super vet in 10k

Star of the show, 1/2 marathon winner Kenny Campbell!
Tina and Emma enjoying the Daninsh pastries!
So I was 13 minutes off my Personal Best half marathon time but I knew I was going to be way off mark and I actually finished a little quicker than I'd expected so I was pretty pleased.  Running PB's isn't always the target, sometimes just getting to run, to feel the sand between your toes or to chat to someone you've never met before can make it ever so enjoyable.  And that's what I did.  For about 10 miles of the race, I met up with an inspirational woman, Carol Golsby.  Celebrating her 60th birthday by taking part in MOKRUN she talked away as if we had known each other throughout our lives.  I was ecstatic to see Carol on the podium at the prizegiving winning 1st in her category - very well deserved, what a wonderful woman.  Good to see some other familiar and local faces on the podium too including my best training buddy Jen on full form gaining a PB and 2nd place!!  Kenny Campbell pipping Jack Arnold to 1st too.  My husband also did well in the 10k, coming in 5th.  Although he was disappointed, particularly in his time of 36 minutes, I can't see why as it was only a few weeks ago he was crippled with a bad back!  
Rab enjoying a cup of tea before a pint... ;-0




Tommy taking a well deserved rest after a strong performance in 10k
Jen and Drew enjoying the sun and atmosphere

The 2 Ralphies - always smiling

The McGeachy's sporting their mokrun medals
Some of the CRC crew smiling at the post race celebrations
After the race I didn't need to rush about as usual so I managed to even get a few miles on my bike before getting ready for the Ceilidh - what a night!  The atmosphere was fantastic and we ended up waiting until the bitter end... it was  along walk home!  


Well done MOKRUN committee, SK Sports Council, marshals, helpers, volunteers, runners and the Campbeltown community - you have done yourself proud once again.

Cheers - Moscow Mule time!
Smile if you ran great today :-)
Loch fyne  salmon bagels mid 107 mile cycle!
There was no time for being sore or hungover (although my injury really flared up after MOKRUN) as I had to continue my IM training.  Open water swimming, brick sessions and my longest cycle to date had to be completed so I could start to taper although it feels as if I've been tapering for ages.  


Maybe some rest in the tapering phase will ease off the pain.  Here's hoping!

Jennifer at our final destination of Garelochead - stunning


Stuart and I dined in La Barca, Helensburgh after a hard day's cycling and running - thoroughly recommend this tapas bar, yum!

All smiles on Sunday after the Vale of Leven 10k despite my worst 10k time in years - I still got a medal and a free pair of Polaroid sunglasses - RESULT!

A wee prosecco al fresco at the family bbq on Sunday to finish off another sunny week

No comments:

Post a Comment