Monday 4 July 2016

My First IronMan Triathlon - ArranMan 2016

Elation.  Happiness.  Relief.  Satisfaction.  Sadness.  Grateful.  I was a complete mixed bag of emotions crossing the finish line of my first Iron Man distance Triathlon that was Arranman.  I honestly loved it.  It was touch and go the last few months due to injury whether I would make it to the start line so making it to the end was a special moment that I'll cherish forever. 

Slowly I shuffle happily to cross the finish
The finish line is emotional - Iain and Ruth, Jen and her Mum, Stuart and I
A moment that I couldn't have achieved without the help and support of family and friends.  I am truly thankful to everyone who supported me along the way as it wasn't an easy journey, particularly with injury, so to everyone who listened patiently to my moaning of pain and to anyone who offered advice, help and even treatment (from acupuncture, massage, yoga to meditation) - thank you. I am very grateful even if sometimes it appears I don't show it - I am.  If you aren't completely bored already, my (long) race report is below so grab a cup of tea -

ARRANMAN 2016 - 2.4 mile swim, 112 mile cycle, 26 mile run

Race Prep

Anyone who knows me knows that I can't sit still for 2 minutes so I always find tapering before a race hard.  In fact, I usually don't really taper that much, not full rest days anyway.  However, this was different.  I was looking forward to a bit of rest and hoping to help out my injury before the big day although it seemed to be getting sorer and sorer the less I did!  So I gave in and took a spin class the day before.  It eased off the pain in my hip/leg and that was good for my mind.  I also went one final swim, just a few laps, testing out using 2 swim caps with my goggles which I forgot to do on my last endurance training swim.  My goggles had been leaking and foggy in the last few open water swims but on any new goggles I tried were even worse so I was pleased that on this last small swim, they stayed clear and didn't leak.  The old favourites that had done at least 8 months of training will have to do for race day!

We arrived on Arran around 5pm on the Friday evening with the car stowed with all my gear (triple checked) - bike, helmet, cycle shoes, gloves, spare tubes, talc, vaseline, towels, wet suit, swim gear, socks, trainers, running gear, gels, flapjacks, energy powder, protein powder, water bottles, garmin and LOTS of pasta and prosecco!  My nerves were starting to kick in as we checked into our cottage in Lamlash, only 1 mile from race HQ, and could see the marquees and signs set up for the race.  There was a big crowd of us over from Campbeltown for the weekend - a lot of us competing (half, standard, marathon and team relay) and some supporters too so we were all looking forward to a wekend away too.  We let the gang get set up for dinner as Stuart, my long suffering husband, accompanied me to race briefing and registration.  As we walked in, my nerves sky rocketed.  It was a small field of around 17 that I was already expecting but the room was filled with tall, strong, fit men!  They all looked as if they had completed umpteen triathlons and could do an Ironman in their sleep, I felt inadequate and way out my depth and I think the organiser Alan forgot I was even coming!  I knew there was a female entered and looked around frantically for her - surely there had to be one woman crazy enough to attempt this?  My prayers were answered when another girl walked in.  She looked like she meant business - fit, strong and in full VLM tracksuit.  I was just happy there was another girl!

The rest of registration didn't ease my nerves much to be honest.  We were issued with caps and race numbers but no chip timing which is fair enough with the size of the field.  The safety briefing from the organiser was informal but the Triathlon Scotland Officials put the fear of God in me!  Basically this was one of the hilliest IronMan distance cycles out there, on dangerous roads that were most likely to give me a puncture.  And I wasn't allowed anyone to support me or give me any help - I had to have everything on my person.  Hmmm... I realised I couldn't draft and wasn't going to but my bike mechanic skills really are non-existant so to be told someone couldn't even repair a puncture for me I was now in a panic!  I had to learn quick!  After heaps of delicious carb-loading pasta, the boys gave me a crash course in puncture repairing.  They have patience those boys - thank you!  But I did it, and felt confident I could do it on race day if I needed to.  Now it was just time to try to get a few hours kip if I could.

Swim - 2.4 Miles, Lamlash Bay



I don't normally eat before my early morning swims so I decided today was going to be no different.  The race started at 6am and I would've needed to eat around 3am and I would rather have a few hours sleep.  I was well fed after Jen's pasta anyway so decided to have breakfast in T1 as I knew I needed to fuel up for the day.  So beside my racked bike and all my gear, I left myself a small bowl of porridge with banana, slice of toast and honey and a cup of green tea.  I think I may have been the only person doing that!!

My stomach was absolutely churning in the final minutes, so much so I had to make one last emergency stop in the chemical loo during race briefing!  But I could hear them talk about 4 laps so the plan was just to follow on and hope I didn't get lapped more than once!



The weather seemed perfect.  The forecast was to be heavy rain for later in the day but it was light drizzle and light winds as we got in the water and I was happy just to get started and away from the midges.  I was pleasantly surprised to see a some of my friends and fellow triathletes there at the swim to cheer me on at such an early start, it was really nice of them and that really spurred me on.  We waded out until chest deep, wished everyone well and we started to swim.  I sat at the back as expected to be last but I soon realised that they were keeping me back so I took a wider berth and got into my rhythm heading for the first big bhuoy.  The water was crystal clear and I could see crabs and jellyfish as I went along.  I soon became unaware of where I was compared to the others, so I tried to sight more.  I was just enjoying the swim, taking it easy and thankful there was a small field, breathing on every 4th stroke and singing along in my head like a normal training swim.  I realised I was swimming almost side by side with 2 other swimmers, 1 of them being the other girl (I only knew this because of the yellow swim cap).  So to give myself more room I decided to push on to get in front, then settled back in again.  I must've became complacent as about 100m after one of the turns the canoeist came in front of me to warn me I was going the wrong way.  Damn!  As I looked around to the buoy I was supposed to be going to I could see the others get in front of me again.  I needed to up the effort to get near them again as I thought if I stayed near them they could do the sighting and I could follow on.  However, I managed to overtake again and take the lead and before I knew it I was approaching the beach!  The water became really shallow so I stood up and waded very slowly back in.  This was hard work and wish I just swam in the shallow but it also allowed me to speak to my fellow competitiors and my cheering family and friends on the shore.    I was hoping to be out the water within 2 hours so was really shocked but pleased to see that I had completed the swim in 1 hour 14.  In transition I took my time to get ready under the watchful eyes of my friends and Stuart who ordered me to get dry and eat my breakfast.  I ignored the porridge but he wouldn't let me away on the bike until I had at least eaten most of my toast ;-0!

Alicia, walks past me on the beach as I struggle to get out the wetsuit!


The Cycle - 112 miles (Twice Around Arran)



I set off in light rain, feeling good.  My aim was just to complete the Iron Man so the plan was slow and steady and I had factored in stopping a few times - for the toilet (inevitable with me) and to eat (equally inevitable). I wanted to get to get the first 2 climbs out the way before I stopped so 17 miles later in Lochranza I had my first quick stop where I had a look out for Katie who was coming over on the ferry.  Another competitor overtook me, down on his aero bars and was picking up speed.  I couldn't believe I was in front of anyone so was rather pleased I held off some of the men until now.  I couldn't see the ferry so hopped back on the bike for another 20 or so miles to Machrie where Stuart said he might be but I couldn't see him.  Regardless, I stopped for some aussie bites (delicious mini flapjack type things) and water at the feed station before heading to the hilly part of the island in the morning sun, just enjoying the ride.  I was around 40 miles in when a fast cyclist approached - it was Dom!  It was great to see a friendly face and get a wee word of support.  However after last night's race warning (briefing) he didn't want to wait with me in case I got penalised so he continued on his ride - he was testing out his route for tomorrow.  Dom and Alix were doing the standard on the Sunday and sounded like the cycle route was a tough one. As I was on the last few hills towards Lamlash I could hear an engine slow down and the familiar sound of my husband shout at me "McGeachy, you're ahead of the plan!" and "are you OK?"  It was great to see him, just knowing he was around give me an instant boost.  "I'm fine!"  I hollered back "see you in Lamlash!"  I powered back after the first lap of 56 miles where there was music playing and people cheering including Stuart and all my friends. I stopped and took another granola bar and a new water bottle (high 5) and although was happy to be slow, I was hoping not to stop much again as I was getting scared my legs wouldn't work getting back on the bike!  

A photographer took this at the top of the Lochranza climb (pt 1)

Time to cycle the island again!  This is where I thought I was going to mentally struggle doing the same loop again but I felt good, weather was lovely and sunny so I wanted to just enjoy it.  Katie was doing part of the loop too and although we never got to cycle together as we hoped, I knew she was behind me somewhere which in itself was good encouragement.  I stopped a further 3 times on this loop but wish I never.  I had planned to stop in Machrie, around the 1/2 way point, to go to the loo and to eat something in preparation for the marathon (chicken sandwich) but I ended up stopping in Lochranza too for more water.   Stuart was there again, checking I was OK and providing words of support.  I was loving the cycle but there was hardly anyone about so it was great to see a friendly face and get a quick chat.  Another competitor overtook me shortly after, we managed to get a quick chat as I recognised 'Eddie' from the night before at briefing.  He was really friendly and chatty, I hoped to see him again later on the course as I was taking an unexpected stop.  Stuart told me that my friends were all at Blackwaterfoot having lunch.  I hadn't planned or wanted to stop there especially as it's at the bottom of a hill with a sharp bend going into an incline, I knew I'd lose the momentum and would be difficult to get going again.  Nevertheless, my friends had come out to support me and I knew it would be good mentally to stop to chat to them.  It was!  They were so positive and encouraging.  But then I tried to go my bike again and Dom shouted at me to STOP!  My chain had jammed.  Ah, my nightmare!  With some technical 'shoogliing' it about it eventually released, phew!  Having to stop now I'd be devastated, I only had 20 or so miles left on the bike!  But those last 20 miles seemed to go on forever and the sun seemed to be getting hotter and hotter.  It's my favourite part of the island, such stunning views but all I could think of now was getting on the run.  How was my injury going to cope?  Was I fuelled enough?  

The Run (26 miles - 4 loops of 6.5 miles)

I arrived back into transition just a little over 8 hours for my cycle (including stops) which although I wasn't 'competing' as such I was a bit disappointed I was over the 8 hour mark but I was here just with the aim to complete it so it was time for the marathon!  The run in the triathlon is normally my strongest and the bit I look forward to the most - but not this time.  My injury over the last 4 months has made every run painful and because of that not enjoyable.  Running faster makes it worse and cycling beforehand usually makes it feel better so I was hoping that it would hold out.  I would normally have completed a few 22 milers before a marathon but this was just not possible with my injury - the last time I had completed a 20 mile run was at the start of February!  I tried to remain positive as I changed into my running trainers, took on more water and jogged out of transition for lap 1.  Again, Kerry, Ruth and Iain were there cheering me on, making me smile and keep me positive.  My injury felt ok for now, it was there but it wasn't curtailing me, I went off slow and steady and enjoyed some of the off road sections o the course.  No sign of my husband though which was strange.  Not to worry - he popped up after about 1 mile in, in his running gear, hands filled with gels and water - "how are you?", "do you need anything?" and "you can do this!"  I was so pleased to see him, but I was fine, I was actually loving it.  But I was starting to feel hot.  The rain forecast hadn't materialised and I knew I was dehydrated.

Each lap I got to run past my friends on Lamlash green
I turned a corner and there was Sarah!  She was looking strong and on her final lap, full of smiles, a few "it's too hot" moans and we did a big high 5!  Yass, I was on the course before she finished which was a bonus.  The marathon had started at 12.30 and there were still a lot of runners on the course which was nice as it was good to see people!  I tried to make an effort to speak to every single one to keep them going and it boosted my confidence as I overtook a few.  I recognised some of the triathlethes too and noticed they were getting slower, some even starting to walk as they were maybe on lap 2 or even 3 but some where powering on. The other girl (Alicia) Iron competitor was looking strong and we exchanged high 5's too - us girls could do this just as well as the men! I got another boost as my best friend and IM training buddy Jen appeared on her bike (but still in jeans!) and she occupied my brain with our normal chat - food!  She had trained with me for months and had completed the half together last year (although Marjorie did her swim) and we had hoped to do the full together.  I was a bit sad that she wasn't taking part alongside me but I respected her decision to switch to the half. She was going to compete at it and give it her all.  She had worked hard in the pool to become a strong swimmer and she was top of her game with cycling and running.  I know she is more than capable of doing the Iron distance, but that can come later when she's done some of the other distances with speed. She is much faster than me and I would have just kept her back. Although when this injury recovers I've promised her I'll train again with her for a new challenge, and looking forward to it already! 

I passed through lap 1 in just under the hour.  Maybe a sub-4 marathon could still be on the cards?  Don't be daft my husband and my logical head said!  I just wanted it finished now - the sun was getting hotter and I was starting to feel sick. Normally a 4 lap route would fill me with dread but with the Iron Man it was a blessing.  It was a figure of 8 route that meant I would pass through centre town twice a lap - meaning I could see my friends and Stuart as well as get access to a water/feed station.  So mentally I broke the marathon down into 8 sections and counted them down.  I couldn't bear the thought of anything sugary like my planned gels or even my high 5 energy juice.  I just wanted water.  I stopped at each water station to take on at least 3 cups and poured a few over my head.  I felt like I was overheating.  I could taste blood in my mouth.  I slowed down and my husband kept popping up all over the course.  He looked worried and gave me more water.  I could tell I didn't look as strong as before and he obviously could too.  He told me to stop.  I drank another bottle of water.  He told me that he didn't care if I stopped now, my welfare was more important.  I knew he was right and I could tell I had the first few symptoms of heat exhaustion.  But I couldn't stop now - I was so close!  I started a slow shuffle, pouring another bottle of water over my head.  Stuart begged me to take on something to eat or a gel but I couldn't, I'd be sick!  I took on more water and tried to keep up a slow, steady pace.  I perked up as I saw the other girl triathlete and Eddie who I'd met on the cycle.  Come on, just a few laps Elaine!!  

Every lap I could see and hear my friends. I couldn't let them down! Alix and Matt had been their walk and were back cheering. Iain and Darren had arrived and now cheering (albeit frim the pub). Tommy and Emma had even taken wee Laila to the quiet part of the course to cheer!  I couldn't stop now!

OK I was slowing and slowing but I didn't care, the target now was just getting to the finish line.    And I was getting nearer. Stuart kept appearing around the course checking on me, other competitors and giving us all welcome words of support on quite a lonely course.  My injury wasn't causing me too much pain, it was more the heat! Stuart had persuaded me to take on a gel and a pretzel.  I didn't want it but I|knew I needed it and it did help.  So I took another.  And another.  I started to feel better again, slow, but better and the sun was feeling less strong.  I can do this - I was nearly there!  Each time I'd come into Lamlash there were whoops and cheers, and the occasional bit of abuse from my friends that kept me going.  

On the second last lap I felt more confident that I was going to complete it was happy to slow down and just try to enjoy it.  I was conscious that my friends were racing tomorrow and had planned a meal tonight so was trying not to interrupt their dinner or finish too late for them!  My feet were hurting and my black leggings had turned white with the salt/sweating but I kept going.  Stuart kept shouting "pain is temporary, you can do this, keep going!" and he really did keep me going.  I think I would've stopped without him and my friends. He told me what everyone had been up to that day and how Ruth had let my Mum and sister know I was Ok. I had to do this for them!  I approached the turning point on the beach I got blocked in by about 10 very large cows!  If this was a 'race' for me, I would've normally been annoyed and frustrated.  This time, I laughed!  You couldn't make this up!  I tried to walk past them but they huddled together.  So I stood for a while and took on some water.  Eventually, I walked down onto the rocks and jogged passed.  I prayed that they'd be gone for my final lap!

It was a lonely last lap.  But it was good, it was time just to take it all in and realise it was coming to an end.  Obviously all the marathon runners were off the course by now, the sun was dipping and there was just a few of us Iron distance triathlethes out on the course - 2 of which I met on the last section, they were on the home straight, including Eddie who gave me a round of applause and was looking fresh for over 13 hours on his feet!  I was surprised that I wasn't last as I saw others behind.  There were few marshals and volunteers on the course but the ones that were there were actually amazing.  One of the ladies at the turning point was the friendliest marshal I have ever met - I even looked forward to seeing her on the last lap where I stopped to give her a big hug!  It was probably the slowest last 2 miles of any race I've ever did but I didn't care - it was almost over!!  The winning girl, Alicia, came back on her bike to see me which I thought was incredibly nice.  A competitor overtook me with about 1/2 a mile to go.  Unlike other races where you may be annoyed or try to speed up - this wasn't a sprint finish type race - I cheered on him to enjoy the finish.  I knew I was going to as I approached the green...  I couldn't believe I was finally there!  Stuart, along with all my friends stood at the gantry as I savoured the moment coming up the chute to the finish line.  I did it!!!!  Tears, yes.  But lots of smiles and hugs.  My friends surrounded me and I took a moment to be extremely thankful for having such wonderful friends and family.  

A kiss from my supportive and relieved husband at the finish

Happiness across the finish line!
All those months of training, for hours and hours every single day, 6am starts, late finishes and sleepless nights were worth it.  I'd done it.  Relief.  I was so relieved to have done it!  And I know Stuart was relieved!!  My marathon time was around 4 hours 30, my slowest ever marathon but that was to be expected, giving me a total time of 14 hours 23 including all stops and transitions.  It was actually less than I had initially thought so I was on cloud 9 as I hobbled around on my sore feet and stiff legs, phoning my parents, sister and mother in law.  I sat with the others as they dined but I couldn't face food just yet, nonetheless, I enjoyed their company.  By the time they ordered desserts I was already planning my next Ironman and how I could knock off an hour...  We cheered in some of the other competitors as it started to get dark and my stomach started to growl.  My appetite had returned and I rewarded it with Jen's delicious pasta from the evening before washed down with a can of pepsi (which is the only thing I was given at the finish line - I would've loved a medal, tshirt or goody bag or SOMETHING to show for my efforts but nothing!) I don't normally drink fizzy juice but I loved every gulp!  I think I'd leave the other fizzy stuff, prosecco, for celebrating with the other's successes tomorrow.  But now it was time for bed, it had been a long day!

Calm waters for the swim but dodgy black toenails, blood blisters and sunburn - ouch!
Back up at 5am on the Sunday to cheer on Alix, Dom, Jen, Iain, Stewart, Darren, Iain in their races - mind the midges!

winning team! nearly never got a mention and not even a prize :-( Poor show for high entry cost!
Jennifer came 3rd in the half-iron man!  At least she gets something to show for her efforts albeit a tiny quaich
My lovely family and friends showered me with gifts so at least I had something to show for completing the course as well as a few blisters!  


1 comment:

  1. wow. epic experience from training to finish line you did yourself proud! xx

    ReplyDelete